...of a 'certain' age

I've had this weird problem for about 18 months now where women older than myself keep offering me their seats on public transport.

It's happened about 7 times now - twice in the past 3 months - and it's really beginning to become uncomfortable because I am no longer in any doubt that the reason all these women are trying to be nice to me is that they think I'm pregnant.

I'm not. Nor am I attempting to get pregnant.

Also, I really don't see what it is that they're looking at that's giving them this impression. Admittedly, I am not the most svelte or waif-like creature; but I don't think it's merely about the proportions of my belly.

Just quietly, I think it's an age thing.

It's as if my biological clock is ringing so loudly that casual bystanders can hear it. But I'm not inclined to listen to it just now; and continual reminders from well-meaning old biddies is only serving to draw my attention to it.

If I were of a paranoid disposition, I would think that the universe is trying to give me a message from my mother.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I've had an old bid tell me I shouldn't be smoking 'in my condition'. It was most distressing