always in threes

There are times when being married is the most comforting thing in the world because of the safety that comes in numbers.

If you've ever had a spider in your car, been invited to a friend's wedding or needed a light at the bus stop, you'll appreciate that other people aren't always hell. Sometimes other people are an absolute necessity. Other people kill spiders, fill empty chairs and light cigarettes.

Ah, but husbands... Husbands are more than mere other people. Husbands are super heroes.

When something needs fixing, burning, pruning or building; they don't worry themselves about the hows, whys or wheres. They roll up their sleeves and get straight to sorting it out. No time to worry about protecting the hardwood floor or securing the trailer; not when there's work to be done.

Which is why it's so very handy to have the Monkey-husband about the house when I pull one of my rare but spectacular fuck-up stunts.

Today I out did myself:


No, it's not The Blob. That's what happens when you put an everyday plastic chopping board in the oven.

Like a complete idiot.

It happened very simply. Despite my better judgment, I used a plastic board as a trivet while I added dripping to a roasting pan for Yorkshire pudding. Then I picked up the pan and put it back in the oven without realising that the board was stuck to it.

I was momentarily perplexed when I opened the oven 5 minutes later to lift the pan out for the pudding batter and it wouldn't budge.

There are moments in life when you regress to a pre-adolescent state, assume the fetal position and hope that someone else will make the horror stop.

This was one of those; and I've never been so grateful for the can-do attitude of the Monkey. He stepped up and totally sorted that mess o-u-t.

And he did it without a care in the world - even though it topped off a day which has already seen the demise of the Toastamatic and the toasting of his server.

Thank you, Monkey-husband. Today was truly a red letter day for the Dickersby household.

No comments: